Sunday, 15 January 2012

Great Ocean Road - Wicked Road Trip

3rd January - 6th January 2012


We were up early, met Ross and headed to the Wicked office just outside of Sydney to collect our campervan.


I was so excited that I could fit this road trip in with the girls and also what a great way to spend my last week in Oz!

The campervan wasn’t exactly the best one I had seen and not what we had been sold by the travel agent!! But, we piled in and hit the road heading for Melbourne, which apparently when you ask an Oz for directions, is just straight – one straight road…….!

This one straight road took us 14 hours! We headed to the start of the Great Ocean Road and by the time we arrived there is was 2am and we had no idea where to park up for the night, so we just parked in a hostel car park and tried to get some sleep.  Sleeping was quite a squeeze - the next four nights were definitely going to be cosy!

Once we woke up we headed to a little lake in Torquay and had some breakfast.  The sun was shining and the view was just beautiful, this was definitely a good start to the trip.
I hadn’t driven yet so I got behind the wheel! This was so exciting just cruising down Australia’s most stunning coastal road in a campervan and with such great peeps – loved it!!

From there we hit the road (which was just one long straight road!) and visited a number of stops and when we reached Apollo Bay we found a campsite where we could park up for the night, felt much safer than the side of the road the previous night that’s for sure.  We had a little wander around the town then it was back to the campervan to cook dinner (well eggs, beans and noodles….!) then we tucked up in the campervan and played few games of cards.
We set off in the morning and visited a rainforest, saw koalas in the wild just chilling in the trees along the roadside and when we reached Princetown we parked up at a campsite.  This one was a little strange but again, better than the side of the road.  This campsite was right next to our final stop which was the Twelve Apostles.

Every stop just got better and better on this road trip but my favourite place had to be the Twelve Apostles, a very dramatic view and they almost didn’t look real – again another “Ruth feeling very lucky” moment!


We had to make the journey back to Melbourne on Friday afternoon as I was catching the overnight Greyhound to Sydney.

I was so sad to leave Amy and Jo, really wish I could have stayed with them in Melbourne and even carried on to Asia with them!! But I have a trip to Essex planned when then get back to the UK, which quite frankly is almost as exciting as going to New Zealand (TOWIE baby!!)

I made a friend on the Greyhound which definitely helped the 14 hours pass as quickly as possible, thank goodness that was my last epic coach journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment