Monday, 16 January 2012

Lake Wanaka - SKYDIVE!!!

Wednesday 11th January 2012


Once on the bus and heading for Lake Wanaka Josh, our driver, handed round a sheet for you to put your name on if you wanted to skydive at Lake Wanaka….. I knew I wanted to do one and Josh advised me that when the weather is good I should bite the bullet and do it then as if I wait for the next spot the weather could change and I could miss my chance!! So, the weather is perfect and Lake Wanaka is apparently a great place to do it, therefore all make good reasons for me to put my name down!!!

Kate also puts her name down along with a couple of lads I have met on the bus so there is a group of us all skydiving which definitely helps with the nerves and the build-up as we make our way to Lake Wanaka.

The bus journey is a few hours and Josh informs us we are doing our skydive at 4pm, so that gives us a good 6 hours to build on the nerves!

4pm arrives and before I know it I am in my boiler suit and being harnessed up! I could not believe I was actually going to do this – I have paid a little more and jumping from 15,000ft, because let’s be honest if I am doing it I might as well go as high as possible….?

Once we get to 12,000ft two people jump out and at this point the nerves really kick in, as they don’t so much jump, but get sucked out of the plane!!  We carry on to 15,000ft and we have to put oxygen masks on as the cabin isn’t pressurised.  James goes first, then Roel and I am the last one to jump!!

The freefalling is definitely the scariest bit as I just couldn’t get my breath and felt like I couldn’t breathe but as soon as the parachute opens and you are just flying above the earth, it is just the most amazing feeling, that combined with the views – it is by far one of the best experiences of my life and I felt very proud of myself for having the nerves to do it!!


Once back at the hostel we just caught up with everyone and had a few drinks to celebrate our achievement.

Up early in the morning as we head to Queenstown J

No comments:

Post a Comment