Monday, 2 January 2012

New Year's Eve 2011

31st December 2011

We were all up and out by 9am, picnics packed and ready to find the perfect spot to bring in 2012!  Chelle had done her research and it was decided that Bradfield Park, which was across the bridge, would be the best spot for us.

The five of us plus four others from our hostel all headed down to the park.  As we set off the heavens opened!! We had our fingers crossed that it was just a shower and the sun would shine for us, as it really wouldn’t be much fun sat in the rain for 15 hours…..!

It did clear and by the time we got set up in the most amazing spot the sunshine appeared!  I really couldn’t believe how good our spot was J we were on a slight hill and looking directly at the water, the bridge and the Opera House.  We also had the most amazing view of Sydney’s skyline – it felt pretty surreal that I would be seeing 2012 in overlooking Sydney Harbour and witnessing  some of the world’s best firework displays.



It was a long day, but the sun was shining and I was in such great company.  The conversation and banter just flows with the girls so time soon passed.  Before we knew it the 9pm fireworks were in full swing, and to be honest they were pretty impressive and got us all excited for 12 o’clock J
The park was absolutely packed out and as the evening went on people were getting little anxious and pretty much do anything to try get the best viewing spot – but after waiting 14 hrs, we were definitely not about to be moved!

I felt pretty emotional after the 9pm ones, partly because I felt so lucky to be stood there and also excited for the start of 2012 and how amazing the start of my year already was!

The countdown began 10, 9, 8…… As soon as it struck 12pm the most unbelievable firework display began!! I took pictures and videos but they simply do not do it justice!! It was so much more than I ever thought it would be and the five of us just stood there in amazement throughout the display!

After the crowds dispersed we headed back to the hostel.  January 1st at 1:30am and I am walking across Sydney Harbour Bridge – such an amazing feeling and I am very excited for 2012!!


No comments:

Post a Comment