Monday, 16 January 2012

Queenstown

Thursday 12th – Monday 16th January 2012

We arrive in Queenstown mid-afternoon so I catch up on some washing and they have a sauna in this hostel so a few of us just chill in there.

The weather isn’t great, quite cold actually and I definitely do not have the wardrobe for bad weather!

The Kiwi Experience organises a night out - apparently tradition when you first arrive in Queenstown - all good fun and even more so now that I have got to know everyone and once again it feels like I have known these people far longer than five days J so lucky to keep meeting really nice group of fellow travellers!


On Friday morning a few of us head to Milford Sound which is a formation of pretty grand mountains that went undiscovered for the first 150 years of European discovery.  It also apparently isn’t a “Sound” which is a formation by the river, but it is a fiord which is the formation from a glacier, but the kiwi’s haven’t renamed it!!  The weather is really bad and I just had to put as many layers of clothes on as possible L Not exactly ideal going on a boat trip in this weather but on the way to the ferry we passed more fab views and waterfalls which actually look even more impressive in the rain!


The trip was good, not my best and not sure it is an 8th wonder of the world, but still worth doing.  I think the bad weather just didn’t show the mountains in all their glory.  We didn’t get back until nearly 10pm as our bus broke down, so a pretty long day.

Saturday - the morning was pretty lazy and I finally managed to get more than five hours sleep so feeling human again! A group of us just explore Queenstown, the markets and also the infamous Fergburger, apparently the best burger in the world!! It is rather amazing, but a burger the size of your head is bound to be impressive…..!?

Sunday – feeling bit delicate from Saturday night but we head on the cable car to the top of Queenstown for some more amazing views!  I then catch up with Kate as she has been staying with family whilst here and soak up Queenstown for the last day.  We are getting picked up at 8am tomorrow morning to head to Kaikoura.


The weather in Queenstown has been pretty awful and I have never felt so cold during my whole trip, but it is supposed to improve as I move north – fingers crossed as I really do not want to be purchasing winter clothes out here!

We have also planned a night out in Wellington for my birthday J there are 6 of us which is great! Very excited to be spending my birthday in New Zealand, even if I am turning 29…..!!

No comments:

Post a Comment